Impact & Legacy
Films & Forums
- Stimulated High Quality Productions: CMS VATAVARAN Awards over the years have inspired better and higher quality productions. In each festival, capacity strengthening workshops by renowned film makers and editors have been organised.
- Nurtured New Generation of Filmmakers: Amateur filmmakers are encouraged to participate. There has been a steady growth in the number of films received in the amateur category, especially from student filmmakers.
- Collaborations with Academic Institutions - More than 2,30,000 youth have been involved from various schools, colleges and universities across India.
- Youth Engaging Activities - More than 1900 innovative activities have been conducted with youth.
- Enriching Green Curriculum - Supporting the Indian school curriculum thematic packages of films have been sent to 30,000 government schools across all districts of India.
- Capacity Building of Teachers- More than 560 educators from 280 schools have been engaged in 14 primer workshops.
Sustained Media Engagement
- Media Forums - Approximately 1300 environmental Journalists from around 230 national and international media organisations have participated in various programs and activities.
- Media Field Trips - Media professionals from across 40 countries of the world have participated in various programs and activities.
- Media Coverage - More than 3000 stories across various media have appeared on the various activities and initiatives of CMS VATAVARAN.
- Young Environment Journalist Awards - the Award concept has inspired many young journalists to take up reporting on environment and wildlife. Around 14 environment journalists have been awarded for their excellence in reporting on environmental issues.
- Multi – Partner initiative - CMS VATAVARAN has been supported in various ways by 500+ partners- Ministries of Government of India, State Government Departments in 38 states, corporates, multi and bi-lateral organizations, media etc.
- Eminent Personalities Associated - CMS VATAVARAN has enthused and involved India’s most respected film personalities, eminent celebrities and head of the states (Governors, Chief Ministers and Ministers) like; Mr Mahesh Bhatt, Ms Shabana Azmi, Ms Nandita Das, Ms Revati Menon, Mr Adil Hussain, Mr Saurabh Shukla, Governors of Uttrakhand, Goa and Meghalya, Chief Ministers of Delhi, Rajasthan and other States. Mr Shyam Benegal, Dr Karan Singh, Mr Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Mr. Suresh Prabhu, Mr. Govind Nihlani and Mr Amol Paleker have been the Jury and Steering Committee Chairpersons.
Policy Discourse & Impact
- Celebrated the presidency of CoP-11 - The 7th CMS VATAVARAN contributed to deliberations on India’s National Biodiversity Targets in order to promote mainstreaming of biodiversity conservation through talks, discussions, interactive sessions, documentaries and films. This was one of the largest public outreach programmes targeting masses in India to celebrate the presidency of CoP-11.
- Initiated Thematic Discourses - More than 200 workshops, sessions, panel discussions, seminars, and conventions have been organized.
- Catalyst for Policy Change - Recommendations have been made on issues such as: water for life, Mainstreaming biodiversity, Conservation and Livelihoods, Climate Change, State of rivers in India, Carbon Neutral Cities, Natural Heritage and Eco-Tourism. Films on Red Panda, E-Waste, Whale Sharks, Vultures, Mining, etc. have also been instruments for change in perception, practice and policy.